Home  •  Forum  •  Blogs  •  E-Mail  •  Support Categories
MyBasicISP Categories Finance Travel Real Estate Games Autos Entertainment
Welcome Guest Active Topics |

147 Pages «<145146147
Dancing with God #2 Options
paulwhut
#2921 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2021 6:42:53 AM

Good Morning. Today is the fourth workday of the week.....mittwoch.
Section 12

Christian Growth and Experience

Chapter 131.

Confessing Faults and
Forgiving One Another

1. WHAT has God promised to do when we confess our sins?
"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9.

2. How has it been made possible for sins to be forgiven?
"If any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and He is the propitiation for our sins." 1 John 2:1,2.

3. To whom should sins be confessed, and why?
"Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Thy sight." Ps. 51:4. See Gen. 39:9.

Page 578

4. What instruction is given concerning confession of faults?
"Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed." James 5:16.

NOTES.-The Bible makes a distinction between a sin and a fault. We sin against God; for sin is the transgression of His law. 1 John 3:4. We trespass one against another. These offenses, while involving sin, are called faults, and should be corrected by confession and forgiveness. The only remedy for either pointed out in the Word of God is heartfelt confession. One writer aptly says: "Confess your sins to God, who only can forgive them, and your faults to one another. If you have given offense to your friend or neighbor, you are to acknowledge your wrong, and it is his duty freely to forgive you. Then you are to seek the forgiveness of God, because the brother you have wounded is the property of God, and in injuring him you sinned against his Creator and Redeemer."
To confess one's faults is not an easy thing to do; in fact, it is one of the hardest lessons to learn, for it requires the grace of humility as well as that of sorrow and true repentance. It has been said that the four hardest words to pronounce in the English language are, " I made a mistake." Frederick the Great wrote to the Prussian senate, "I have just lost a battle, and it is my own fault." Concerning this Goldsmith says, "His confession shows more greatness than his victories."
The confession should not only be complete, but it should be as broad and as public as was the offense. Private offenses should be confessed in private.

5. When we do wrong, what is the natural thing for us to do?
Excuse it, seek to hide it, or blame some one else for it. See Gen. 3:12,13; 4:9.

6. After David's great sin had been pointed out to him, what did he say?
"I have sinned." 2 Sam. 12:13. "I acknowledge my transgressions." Ps. 51:3.

7. When David in contrition of heart confessed his sin, what was God's word to him by Nathan, the prophet?
"And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said unto David, The Lord also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die." 2 Sam. 12:13.

NOTE.-This scripture is especially encouraging. God hates sin. He wants us likewise to hate it and shun it, because it invariably gets us into trouble, causes sorrow of heart, and in the end brings death. But when involved in it, as was David, as soon as it is acknowledged and sincerely confessed, that very moment it is forgiven. David said, "I have sinned." The immediate answer was returned, "The Lord also hath put away thy sin."

8. Is it ever right to tell a brother of his faults?
"If thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother." Matt. 18:15. "Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbor, and not suffer sin upon him." Lev. 19:17.

Page 579

9. In what spirit should this kind of work be done?
"Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted." Gal. 6:1.

NOTE.-It is much easier to tell some one else of a brother's faults than it is to tell him of them himself; but this is not the Christian way to proceed. The first efforts should be made with the offender in person, and alone. But it is easier even to tell a brother of his faults than it is to confess to him our own. This, again, let it be noted, is the one very difficult lesson to learn, the one Christian duty difficult to perform. Only humility and the grace of God will enable one, to do it.

10. When we pray; what does Christ tell us to do, and why?
"And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have aught against ally: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses." Mark 11:25.

11. It we do not forgive others, what will God not do?
"But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses." Verse 26. See, for illustration, Christ's parable recorded in Matt. 18:23-35.

12. What words of Joseph to his brethren show that he forgave them for selling him into Egypt?
"Now therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life. . . . So now it was not you that sent me hither, but God." Gen. 45:5 thru 8

13. What was Christ's reply to Peter's question as to the number of times we should forgive one another?
"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven t
imes? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven." Matt. 18:21,22.

NOTE.-That is, an unlimited number. We must pardon offenses against us though ever so often done; we must forgive to the end.

14. What spirit did Jesus manifest toward those who nailed Him to the cross?
"Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." Luke 23:34.

15. How did Stephen manifest the same spirit toward those who stoned him?
"And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, . . . and he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge." Acts 7:59,60. See 1 Peter 4:8.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
Medieval Scholastic philosophers and theologians, such as Saint Thomas Aquinas and Saint Bonaventure, held that all the commandments are a part of the natural law and are therefore knowable to all thinking people. They maintained that God revealed the commandments to Moses to remind humankind of its obligations, easily forgotten because of original sin.

Actually, these scholars were echoing a similar idea expressed by early Fathers of the Church, such as Tertullian and Augustine, that the commandments had already been engraved on the human heart before they were written on the tablets of stone.
Parallels to the Decalogue are found in the laws of other ancient peoples. In Egyptian religion, for example, the observance of certain precepts (prohibitions against theft, murder, and injustice) was necessary for entrance into the shrine of Osiris, god and judge of the dead. Biblical scholars feel, however, that the Ten Commandments differ from the moral codes of other ancient religious systems in their explicit monotheism, their doctrine of God's awesome majesty and boundless goodness, and their extension of moral obligation to the most intimate and hidden desires of the human heart.

In the New Testament, all the commandments are mentioned but never in a list of ten.
Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2006. © 1993-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?
    A. Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her;—she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.

A Doctrinal Catechism by the Rev. Stephen Keenan, p. 174

“Of course the Catholic Church claims that the change was her act,… (A quotation from a letter written in November, 1895, by Mr. H. F. Thomas, chancellor to Carkinal Gibbons, replying to an inquiry as to whether the Catholic Church claims to have changed the Sabbath.)

WHO CHANGED THE 
SABBATH SATURDAY TO SUNDAY?
Roman Catholic: No such law in the Bible "Nowhere in the bible do we find that Jesus or the apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is, the Seventh day of the week, Saturday. Today, all Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the [Roman] church outside the Bible." Catholic Virginian, Oct. 3, 1947 

"You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctified." James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers (1917 ed.), pp.72,73

"If protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath Day, that is Saturday. In keeping Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic Church." Albert Smith, chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the cardinal in a letter of Feb. 10, 1920.

"Have you not any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?" 
"Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her, she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the Seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority" Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism 3rd ed. p. 174

How prove you that the Church hath power to command feasts and holydays? 
By the very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, which Protestants allow of; and therefore they fondly contradict themselves, by keeping Sunday strictly, and breaking most other feasts commanded by the same Church." Henry Tuberville, An Abridgment of the Christian Doctrine (1833 approbation), p.58 (Same statement in Manual of Christian Doctrine, ed. by Daniel Ferris [1916 ed.], p.67)

"The Catholic Church,... by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday. 
" The Catholic Mirror, official organ of Cardinal Gibbons, Sept. 23, 1893. 

Todays' Sabbath School lesson:July 14 Hypocrisy
A hypocrite is somebody who playacts, who wants to appear to be somebody he or she is not. The term is used seven times in Matthew 23 in a discourse in which Jesus publicly shames the scribes and Pharisees, the very center of Jewish religious leadership (Matt. 23:13, 14, 15, 23, 25, 27, 29). The Gospels show us Jesus offering grace and forgiveness to adulter- ers, tax collectors, prostitutes, and even murderers, but He demonstrated little tolerance for hypocrites (see the many additional references in Matt. 6:2, 5, 16; Matt. 7:5; Matt. 15:7–9; Matt. 22:18).

Read Matthew 23:1–13 and list four main characteristics of a hypo- crite mentioned by Jesus.
Jesus associates four characteristics with the scribes and Pharisees. In the spectrum of Judaism in the first century a.d., the Pharisees repre- sented the conservative religious right. They were interested in the writ- ten and oral law and emphasized ritual purity. On the other side of the spectrum were the Sadducees, a group of mostly wealthy leaders, often associated with the elite priestly class. They were highly Hellenized (i.e., they spoke Greek and were at home in Greek philosophy) and did not believe in a judgment or an afterlife. We would describe them as liberals. Both groups were guilty of hypocrisy.

According to Jesus, we are hypocrites if we don’t do what we say, when we make religion harder for others without applying the same standards to ourselves, when we want others to applaud our religious fervor, and when we require honor and recognition that belongs only to our heavenly Father.

No matter how sharp and to the point His words, Jesus’ engagement with those He called hypocrites was nevertheless full of love and con- cern, even for these hypocrites.

“Divine pity marked the countenance of the Son of God as He cast one lingering look upon the temple and then upon His hearers. In a voice choked by deep anguish of heart and bitter tears He exclaimed, ‘O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!’ ”—Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, p. 620.

Why do you not need to be a religious leader to be guilty of the kind of hypocrisy that Jesus so soundly condemns here? How can we learn to see a
ny such hypocrisy in ourselves, if it exists, and how can we get rid of it?
Many wonder today why the Republican party does nothing to defeat the treasonous
schemes of the Democrats. It is because the pope’s Jesuits have thoroughly
infiltrated the Republican party as well as the Democratic party. Many wonder why
the news media lie so much to support and protect the Democrats. It is because the
pope’s Jesuits have thoroughly infiltrated the news media. The news media and
schools and colleges, with their lies and propaganda, have so conditioned the
people of the country that they are unable to recognize what has been done to them.
Victory for the Jesuits seems very near. The Jesuits are like a cancer that has
pervaded nearly every fiber of the society of the United States. We are being
defeated by the enemy within.

For many years the Jesuits have prevented the United States from developing
additional sources of energy within its own territory. Exploiting the vast oilfields on
the Alaskan north slope, that probably contain more oil than the entire middle east,
is forbidden. New nuclear power plants, the safest source of electric energy ever
discovered, are not permitted. There is no end to the lies people have been made to
believe about Nuclear energy. The environment is used as the club to subdue the
people of the country into going along with this idiocy. Modern technology is able to
develop these sources of power without any damage to the environment. France
gets 80% of its power from nuclear power plants without any problems. Needless to
say, without sufficient energy, the United States will not be able to defend itself. All
the papacy has to do is cut off the oil supply from the middle east.

The United States is now starting to feel the pinch of the energy shortage the Jesuits
have created. People have experienced blackouts over large areas as power is shut
off to stay within the limits of generating capacity. Today, instead of constructing
additional nuclear power plants, some of these plants are being dismantled! Will the
people of the United States be able to wake up in time to prevent the coming
national tragedy?

Not only in the United States is this treachery being perpetrated by the papacy, but
they are secretly at work all over the world to subvert all the nations of the world.

"And all the world wondered after the beast." Rev 13:3 last part.
paulwhut
#2922 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 6:51:53 AM

Good Morning. Today is the fifth workday of the week.....come sundown begins the preparation......the sabbath is drawing on.

Section 12

Chapter 132.

The Duty of Encouragement

1. WHEN the ten spies brought back an evil report from the land of Canaan, what did Caleb say?
"And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it." Num. 13:30.

2. What did the ten spies say?
"But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we." Verse 31.

3. What effect did this evil report have upon the people?
"And all the congregation lifted up their voice, and cried;

and the people wept that night. And all the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron: and the whole congregation said unto them, Would God that we had died in the land of Egypt! or would God we had died in this wilderness! . . . And they said one to another, Let us make a captain, and let us return into Egypt." Num. 14:1-4.

4. With what words did Moses seek to encourage Joshua?
"And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of a good courage. . . . The Lord, He it is that doth go before thee; He will be with thee, He will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed." Deut. 31:7,8.

Page 581

5. In his final charge to Joshua, what did Moses, speaking for God, say to him?
"And he gave Joshua the son of Nun a charge, and said, Be strong and of a good courage: for thou shalt bring the children of Israel into the land which I sware unto them: and I will be with thee. " Verse 23.

6. After Moses' death, how did the Lord encourage Joshua?
"The Lord spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying, . . . There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Be strong and of a good courage." Joshua 1:1-6.

7. When Sennacherib, king of Assyria, came against Jerusalem, what did King Hezekiah say to Israel?
"Be strong and courageous, be not afraid nor dismayed for the king of Assyria, nor for all the multitude that is with him: for there be more with us than with him: with him is an army of flesh; but with us is the Lord our God to help us, and to fight our battles." 2 Chron. 32:7,8.

8. What effect did these words have upon the people?
"And the people rested themselves upon the words of Hezekiah king of Judah." Verse 8.

9. How did Josiah seek to promote the worship of God?
"And he set the priests in their charges, and encouraged them to the service of the house of the Lord." 2 Chron. 35:2.

10. By what message, through the prophet Haggai, did God seek to encourage the people to rebuild the temple?
"Be strong, O Zerubbabel, saith the Lord; and be strong, O Joshua, son of Josedech, the high priest; and be strong, all ye people of the land, saith the Lord, and work: for I am with you, saith the Lord of hosts." Haggai 2:4.

11. What encouraging message has Christ left us?
"Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33.

NOTES.-A dispirited man, like a discouraged horse, is powerless to perform his task.
"What men need most in this world's struggle and strife is not usually direct help, but cheer. . . . Many men have fainted and succumbed in the great struggles whom one word of cheer would have made strong to overcome. We should never, then, lose an opportunity to say an inspiring word. We know not how much it is needed, nor how great and far-reaching its consequences may be."- "Week-Day Religion," by J. R. Miller, D. D., page 170.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"The Catholic Church,... by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday. 

and"Is Saturday the 7th day according to the Bible and the 10 Commandments?" 
"I answer yes".

"Is Sunday the first day of the week and did the Church change the 7th day, Saturday, for Sunday, the 1st day?" 
"I answer yes". 

"Did Christ change the day?" 
"I answer no!" Faithfully yours, "J. Cardinal Gibbons" Gibbons' autograph letter. 

Some theologians have held that God likewise directly determined the Sunday as the day of worship in the NEW LAW, that he himself has explicitly substituted Sunday for the Sabbath. 

But this theory is entirely abandoned. It is now commonly held that God simply gave His church the power to set aside whatever day or days she would deem suitable as holy days. The church chose Sunday, the first day of the week, and in the course of time added other days as holy days." 
John Laux A Course in Religion for Catholic High Schools and Academies 1936, vol.1 p.51

Which is the Sabbath day? 
Saturday is the Sabbath day.

Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday? 
We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemity from Saturday to Sunday." 
Peter Geiermann, The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1946 ed.), p.50. Geiermann received the "apostolic blessing" of Pope Pius X on his labors, January 25, 1910. 

"The Catholic Church changed the observance of the Sabbath to Sunday by right of the divine, infallible authority given to her by her Founder, Jesus Christ. The Protestant, claiming the Bible to be the only guide of faith, has no warrant for observing Sunday. 

In this matter the Seventh Day Adventist is the only consistent Protestant. The Catholic Universe Bulletin, Aug. 14, 1942, p.4 

"The observance of Sunday by the Protestants is an homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the [Catholic] church." Monsignor Louis Segur, Plain Talk About the Protestantism of Today (1868), p. 213 

Exodus 20: 8-11, 
(8) Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. (9) Six days shalt thou labor and do all thy work: (10) But the Seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: (11) For in six days the Lord made the heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the Seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it. 

Colossians 2:8 warns us to: 
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Todays' Sabbath School lesson: July 15
Uprooting Restlessness
Read John 14:1–6. In the midst of our own restlessness, what can we do so that our hearts will not feel troubled? What is the key to overcom- ing division, selfishness, ambition, hypocrisy, and truly finding rest?
Overcoming restlessness always begins with Jesus. He is the way, the truth, and the life. He knows the right direction when we wander aimlessly in the wilderness of our media-saturated world; as the divine Lawgiver He Himself is the personified Truth, and His Spirit will guide us into all truth (John 16:13). When we are hurt, tired, worn out, sick, and discouraged, He is the life—not just any life. In fact, He has promised us life in abundance (John 10:10). This includes our eternal home and eternal life, but it also entails a different quality of life here. The Creator surely is able to give abundantly and beyond measure, even now.

“Let not your heart be troubled” is an invitation to live in anticipa- tion. When we feel low, He is able to put us on a higher plain. When we struggle with darkness and sin, He is the One who not only began but also will finish His good work in us (Phil. 1:6).

No matter how bad things get here (and yes, they can get bad), look at the promise we have been given in Jesus. He is preparing a “place” for us, a place where our pain, restlessness, and suffering will forever be banished. That is the hope we have been given in Christ Jesus, and it is offered to all of us, no matter who we are, no matter our background, and no matter how sordid our lives have been or are now.

The key, however, is for us to come to God anyway in our weakness, in our hurt, in our brokenness, and in our general fallen state, knowing that He accepts us despite these things. That is what grace is all about, and why we must believe that we have been given it if we seek for it in faith.

Read Jeremiah 3:22. What does God ask us to do, and then, what will He do for us in response?

Think about Jesus’ words: “ ‘I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also’ ” (John 14:3, NKJV). What sh
ould this tell us about how central and crucial the promise of the Second Coming is? Especially for us as Adventists (with our understanding of death), why is the promise of the Second Coming so precious?
Many wonder today why the Republican party does nothing to defeat the treasonous
infiltrated the Republican party as well as the Democratic party. Many wonder why
the news media lie so much to support and protect the Democrats. It is because the
people of the country that they are unable to recognize what has been done to them.

additional sources of energy within its own territory. Exploiting the vast oilfields on
the Alaskan north slope, that probably contain more oil than the entire middle east,
is forbidden. New nuclear power plants, the safest source of electric energy ever
discovered, are not permitted. There is no end to the lies people have been made to
people of the country into going along with this idiocy. Modern technology is able to
gets 80% of its power from nuclear power plants without any problems. Needless to
say, without sufficient energy, the United States will not be able to defend itself. All

The United States is now starting to feel the pinch of the energy shortage the Jesuits
have created. People have experienced blackouts over large areas as power is shut
off to stay within the limits of generating capacity. Today, instead of constructing
additional nuclear power plants, some of these plants are being dismantled! Will the
national tragedy?

Not only in the United States is this treachery being perpetrated by the papacy, but
they are secretly at work all over the world to subvert all the nations of the world.

paulwhut
#2923 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2021 3:06:51 AM

Good Morning. Today is the preparation, the sabbath is drawing on.
Genesis 4:7 (KJV)
7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Genesis 26:5 (KJV)
5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Isaiah 56:1-2 (KJV) 1 Thus saith the LORD,
Keep ye judgment, and do justice:
for my salvation is near to come,
and my righteousness to be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man that doeth this,
and the son of man that layeth hold on it;
that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it,
and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.

Isaiah 58:13-14 (KJV) 13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath,
from doing thy pleasure on my holy day;
and call the sabbath a delight,
the holy of the Lord, honourable;
and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways,
nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord;
and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth,
and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father:
for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

Thus saith the Lord; Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; 22 Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers. 23 But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction
(Jeremiah 17:21-23 KJV)

The Bible holy day is the Seventh Day.

Genesis 2:
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exodus 20:
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Leviticus 23:3
Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

Isaiah 58:
13 ¶If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

Section 9

The Sabbath

Chapter 96.

The Sabbath in the New Testament

1. ACCORDING to the New Testament, what day immediately precedes the first day of the week?
"In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week." Matt. 28:1.

NOTE.-According to the New Testament, therefore, the Sabbath had passed when the first day of the week began.

2. After the crucifixion, what day was kept by the women who followed Jesus?
"And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment." Luke 23:56.

3. What day is the Sabbath, "according to the commandment"?
"But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God." Ex. 20:10.

4. What was Christ's custom respecting the Sabbath?
"And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up: and, as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16.

5. In what instruction to His disciples did Christ recognize the existence of the Sabbath long after His ascension?
"But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day." Matt. 24:20.

NOTE.-The destruction of Jerusalem under Titus occurred in the spring and summer of 70 A.D. The flight of the Christians took place three and one-half years earlier, or late in October, 66 A. D., following the arrival and sudden withdrawal of Cestius and his army. See readings in Chapter 68. of this book.

6. On what day did the Jews meet for worship?
"Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath day." Acts 15:21.

7. On what day did Paul and Barnabas preach at Antioch?
"They came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day." Acts 13:14.

8. When did the Gentiles request that Paul should repeat the sermon he had preached at Antioch on the Sabbath?
"And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath." Verse 42.

9. On what day did Paul and his companions preach to the devout women at Philippi?
"And on the Sabbath we went out of the city by a riverside, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither." Acts 16:13.

10. What was Paul's manner respecting the Sabbath?
"They came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews: and Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three Sabbath days reasoned with them out of the Scriptures." Acts 17:1,2.

NOTE.-It was Paul's manner, as it was Christ's custom (Luke 4:16), to attend religious services on the Sabbath.

11. How did the apostle spend the working days of the week when at Corinth?
"After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth; and found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; . . . and because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tent-makers." Acts 18:1-3. See Eze. 46:1.

12. What did he do on the Sabbath days?
"And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks." Acts 18:4.

13. How long did he continue this work there?
"And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them." Verse 11.

NOTE.-Here, then, were seventy-eight Sabbaths on which Paul preached in one city. The record further says that he worked at his trade, and we may justly infer that Paul worked at tent-making just as many Sundays as he preached Sabbaths. If to these seventy-eight Sabbaths we add the three he spent at Thessalonica, the one at Philippi, and the two at Antioch, we have a record of eighty-four Sabbaths on which the apostle held religious services, while, so far as the record shows, he held only one meeting on the first day of the week, and that a night meeting, immediately following the Sabbath. See Acts 20. Evidently Sunday was not the Sabbath in Paul's day.

14. On what day was John in the Spirit?
"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day." Rev. 1:10.

15. Who is Lord of the Sabbath?
"The Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath." Mark 2:28.

16. What, through the prophet Isaiah, does the Lord call the Sabbath?
"If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day." Isa. 58:13.

17. Why does the Lord call the Sabbath His day?
"For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it." Ex.20:11.

18. Through whom did God create the world?
"God. . . hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, . . . by whom also He made the worlds." Heb. 1:1,2.

NOTES.-From beginning to end, the Bible recognizes but one weekly Sabbath,- the day upon which God rested in the beginning; which was made known to Israel at Sinai (Neh. 9:13,14); was observed by Christ and His apostles; and is to be kept by the redeemed in the world to come. Isa. 66:22,23.

The terms Sabbath, Sabbaths, and Sabbath days occur sixty times in the New Testament, and in every case but one refer to the seventh day. In Col. 2:16,17, reference is made to the annual sabbaths connected with the three annual feasts observed by Israel before the first advent of Christ.

The first day of the week is mentioned but eight times in the New Testament, six of which are found in the four Gospels, and refer to the day on which Christ arose from the dead. See Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:2,9; Luke 24:1; John 20:1,19. The other two (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2) refer to the only religious meeting held on the first day of the week after the ascension, in apostolic times, recorded in the New Testament and to a systematic accounting and laying by in store at home on that day for the poor saints in Judea and Jerusalem.

It is evident, therefore, that the Sabbath of the New Testament is the same as the Sabbath of the Old Testament, and that there is nothing in the New Testament setting aside the seventh-day Sabbath, and putting the first day of the week in its place.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What kind of worship does the Saviour call that which is not according to God's commandments? 
"But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrine the commandments of men." Matt. 15:9

Peter Geiermann, C.S.S.R., The Converts Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1957), p. 50.
"Question: Which is the Sabbath day?
"Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.
"Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?"Answer. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."

Martin J. Scott, Things Catholics Are Asked About (1927),p. 136.
"Nowhere in the Bible is it stated that worship should be changed from Saturday to Sunday .... Now the Church ... instituted, by God's authority, Sunday as the day of worship. This same Church, by the same divine authority, taught the doctrine of Purgatory long before the Bible was made.
We have, therefore, the same authority for Purgatory as we have for Sunday."

Peter R. Kraemer, Catholic Church Extension Society (1975),Chicago, Illinois.
"Regarding the change from the observance of the Jewish Sabbath to the Christian Sunday, I wish to draw your attention to the facts:

That Protestants, who accept the Bible as the only rule of faith and religion, should by all means go back to the observance of the Sabbath. The fact that they do not, but on the contrary observe the Sunday, stultifies them in the eyes of every thinking man.

"2) We Catholics do not accept the Bible as the only rule of faith. Besides the Bible we have the living Church, the authority of the Church, as a rule to guide us. We say, this Church, instituted by Christ to teach and guide man through life, has the right to change the ceremonial laws of the Old Testament and hence, we accept her change of the Sabbath to Sunday. We frankly say, yes, the Church made this change, made this law, as she made many other laws, for instance, the Friday abstinence, the unmarried priesthood, the laws concerning mixed marriages, the regulation of Catholic marriages and a thousand other laws.

It is always somewhat laughable, to see the Protestant churches, in pulpit and legislation, demand the observance of Sunday, of which there is nothing in their Bible."

"I have repeatedly offered $1,000 to anyone who can prove to me from the Bible alone that I am bound to keep Sunday holy. There is no such law in the Bible. It is a law of the holy Catholic Church alone. The Bible says,
Enright, C.S.S.R., in a lecture at Hartford, Kansas, Feb. 18,1884.
'Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.' The Catholic Church says: 'No. By my divine power I abolish the Sabbath day and command you to keep holy the first day of the week.' And lo! The entire civilized world bows down in a reverent obedience to the command of the holy Catholic Church."

Todays' Sabbath School lesson:July 16
Further Thought: “There can be no growth or fruitfulness in the life that is centered in self. If you have accepted Christ as a personal Saviour, you are to forget yourself, and try to help others. Talk of the love of Christ, tell of His goodness. Do every duty that presents itself. Carry the burden of souls upon your heart, and by every means in your power seek to save the lost. As you receive the Spirit of Christ—the Spirit of unselfish love and labor for others—you will grow and bring forth fruit. The graces of the Spirit will ripen in your character. Your faith will increase, your convictions deepen, your love be made perfect. More and more you will reflect the likeness of Christ in all that is pure, noble, and lovely.”—Ellen G. White, Christ’s Object Lessons, pp. 67, 68.

In dealing with issues between church members, “conversation has been protracted for hours between the parties concerned, and not only has their time been wasted, but the servants of God are held to listen to them, when the hearts of both parties are unsubdued by grace. If pride and selfishness were laid aside, five minutes would remove most difficulties.”—Ellen G. White, Early Writings, p. 119.

Discussion Questions:

 In class, think about practical ways of overcoming selfishness. How can you keep each other accountable so that these ideas can become a reality?

 Ambitions are not inherently bad. Yet, how can we anticipate and imagine great things from God without falling into the trap of being consumed by ambition?

 Most of us don’t show ambition, hypocrisy, selfishness, or envy on the outside. We are very capable of offering a more benign facade. Like the huge root system of an aspen tree, however, all these negative characteristics lurk below the surface. What does Spirit- guided character transformation look like in practice? How can we overcome the root of restlessness and find true rest in Jesus?

 Dwell more on your answer to Thursday’s final question about the importance of the Second Coming. After all, without it, what hope do we have? Without it, what good would Christ’s first com- ing have done for us, knowing that the dead sleep until the resur- rection, which happens only at the Second Coming?

Inside Story Mystery Bible
By Andrew Mcchesney

A COVID-19 lockdown left Sandile Khumalo on his knees in South Africa’s biggest city, Johannesburg. The national lockdown, among the most stringent in the world, shuttered the three churches where Sandile serves as pastor in the city of 5.5 million people.

Tough regulations closed parks and banned jogging, dog walking, and even the sale of cigarettes and alcohol.

Like many pastors, Sandile moved his ministry online and livestreamed ser- mons to members of his three churches: Johannesburg Central, Johannesburg CBD, and Johannesburg Innercity. Sometimes he received encouraging mes- sages from people inspired by his preaching. But he longed to do more. He earnestly prayed to God to send an unbeliever who needed to meet Jesus dur- ing the pandemic. What happened next surprised him.

One day, Sandile received a WhatsApp text message from an unfamiliar number. The sender introduced himself as Hilton and sent a photo of a Bible that he had found in a minivan taxi while traveling to work. Minivan taxis, which carry multiple passengers, are a common sight in Johannesburg.

“I picked up your Bible in the taxi,” Hilton wrote.

He explained that he had opened the Bible and, finding Sandile’s name and contact information inside the cover, decided to write.
Sandile looked at the photo with interest. He owned several Bibles but did not recognize the one in the photo. The Bible looked new, and its burgundy- red leather cover indicated that it was not cheap. Furthermore, Sandile had not ridden in a minivan taxi in years. He checked with his wife and other family members, and they confirmed that he had never owned such a Bible.

Hilton was not bothered that Sandile did not recognize the Bible. He was more interested in finding out what the Bible said. He had never read a Bible, and he was eager to start. He asked Sandile whether he would be willing to help him read it. He wanted Bible studies.

Sandile knew at that moment that God had heard his prayers for an unbe- liever who needed to meet Jesus during the pandemic. God had answered his prayers in a miraculous way. “I praise God for this unique opportunity for ministry of which I still cannot make sense,” Sandile said. “I hope our interactions will lead to

Hilton accepting Jesus Christ as his personal Savior.”

This story illustrates a key component of the Seventh-day Adventist Church’s I Will Go strategic plan: “Demonstrable increase in total members and congregations in all urban areas of one million people or more” (KPI 2.3). Learn more about the strategic plan at IWillGo2020.org.
Provided by the General Conference Office of Adventist Mission, which uses Sabbath School
mission offerings to spread the gospel worldwide. Read new stories daily at AdventistMission.org. 2

national tragedy?

paulwhut
#2924 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2021 8:02:33 AM

Good Morning. Today is the second workday of the week.

I been gone since friday morning. I will post the sabbath school lessons that were missed.

I been away from the news.

*July 17–23 The Cost of Rest
(page 30 of Standard Edition)
Sabbath afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: 2 Sam. 11:1–27, 2 Sam. 12:1– 23, Gen. 3:1–8, 1 John 1:9.

Memory Text: “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me” (Ps. 51:10, NKJV).

Many people seem desperate to find a little peace and quiet. They are willing to pay for it too. In many big cities there are internet-free rooms, which can be rented by the hour. The rules are strict—no noise, no visitors. People are willing to pay to be able to sit quietly and just think or nap. There are sleep pods that can be rented in airports, and noise-reducing earphones are popular items. There are even canvas hoods, or collapsible privacy shields that you can buy to pull over your head and torso for a quick workplace break.

True rest also has a cost. While the spin doctors of the self-help media would like to make us believe that we can determine our own destiny and that rest is just a matter of choice and planning, yet, at least when we consider this honestly, we realize our inability to bring true rest to our hearts. In the fourth-century, Augustine put it succinctly in his famous Confessions (Book 1) as he considered God’s grace: “You have made us for yourself, and our hearts are restless, until they can find rest in you.”

This week we look briefly into the life of the man after God’s own heart to find out how he discovered the true cost of God’s rest.
* Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, July 24.

Lesson 4
July 18
Worn and Weary
On a balmy spring evening, restless King David paced the roof of his palace. He should have been with his army on the other side of the Jordan. He should have been leading God’s people to defeat the Ammonites and finally bring peace to the kingdom.

Not being where he should have been opened the door to temptation for David. Read the story in 2 Samuel 11:1–5. What happened, and what great sin did David commit?
David saw a “very beautiful woman” taking a bath on her roof. His sinful impulses got the better of him that evening, and he slept with Bathsheba, the wife of a trusted army officer. Like all ancient kings, David had absolute power. As king, he didn’t have to follow the rules that governed everyone else. And yet, the painful story of David’s family following this story-changing moment reminds us of the fact that, even as the king, he was not above God’s law.

Indeed, the law is there as a protection, a safeguard, and when even the king stepped outside it, he faced terrible consequences. As soon as David transgressed the limits of God’s law, he began to feel its effects on all aspects of his life. David thought that his passionate fling had gone unnoticed; yet, Bathsheba was now pregnant and her husband far away.

Read 2 Samuel 11:6–27. How did David try to cover up his sin? ____________________________________________________
Even David’s most intricate schemes to get Uriah home to his wife, Bathsheba, failed. Uriah was a man of stellar reputation who responded to David’s subtle hints: “ ‘The ark and Israel and Judah are dwelling in tents, and my lord Joab and the servants of my lord are encamped in the open fields. Shall I then go to my house to eat and drink, and to lie with my wife?’ ” (2 Sam. 11:11, NKJV). Eventually a desperate David reverted to “remote control” assassination to cover his sin.
(page 31 of Standard Edition)

It is hard to believe that David, to whom God had given so much, could have stooped so low. No matter who we are, what warning should we all take from this story?

July 19
Wake-Up Call
In the midst of one of the darkest times of David’s life there was good news: God sent His prophet. Nathan and David knew each other well. Earlier, Nathan had counseled David on his plans to build a temple (2 Samuel 7). Now, though, the prophet came with a different task to perform for his king.

Why do you think Nathan chooses to tell a story rather than naming and shaming David immediately? Read 2 Samuel 12:1–14.
Nathan knew what to say, and he said it in a way that David could under- stand. He told a story that David, the former shepherd, could relate to. He knew David’s highly developed sense of justice and integrity. Thus, in a sense, one could say that Nathan set a trap and that David walked right into it.

When David unwittingly pronounced his own death sentence, Nathan told him, “ ‘You are the man’ ” (2 Sam. 12:7, NKJV). There are different ways of saying “You are the man.” One can shout it, one can accuse and stick a finger right into the other person’s face, or one can express con- cern and care. Nathan’s words must have been laced with grace. At that moment, David must have felt the pain that God must feel when one of His sons or daughters knowingly steps outside of His will. Something clicked in David’s mind. Something tore in his heart.

Why does David respond with: “I have sinned against the Lord” rather than “I have sinned against Bathsheba” or “I am a murderer” (2 Sam. 12:13; see also Ps. 51:4)?
David recognized that sin, which makes our heart restless, is primarily an affront against God, the Creator and Redeemer. We hurt ourselves; we affect others. We bring disgrace to our families or churches. Yet, ultimately, we hurt God and drive another nail into the rough beam pointing heavenward on Golgotha.

“The prophet’s rebuke touched the heart of David; conscience was aroused; his guilt appeared in all its enormity. His soul was bowed in penitence before God. With trembling lips he said, ‘I have sinned against the Lord.’ All wrong done to others reaches back from the injured one to God. David had committed a grievous sin, toward both Uriah and Bathsheba, and he keenly felt this. But infinitely greater was his sin against God.”—Ellen G. White, Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 722.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Protestant Confessions
Protestant theologians and preachers from a wide spectrum of denominations have been quite candid in admitting that there is no Biblical authority for observing Sunday as a sabbath.

Anglican/Episcopal
Isaac Williams, Plain Sermons on the Catechism , vol. 1, pp.334, 336.
"And where are we told in the Scriptures that we are to keep the first day at all? We are commanded to keep the seventh; but we are nowhere commanded to keep the first day .... The reason why we keep the first day of the week holy instead of the seventh is for the same reason that we observe many other things, not because the Bible, but because the church has enjoined it."

Canon Eyton, The Ten Commandments , pp. 52, 63, 65.
"There is no word, no hint, in the New Testament about abstaining from work on Sunday .... into the rest of Sunday no divine law enters.... The observance of Ash Wednesday or Lent stands exactly on the same footing as the observance of Sunday."
Bishop Seymour, Why We Keep Sunday .
We have made the change from the seventh day to the first day, from Saturday to Sunday, on the authority of the one holy Catholic Church."

Baptist
Dr. Edward T. Hiscox, a paper read before a New York ministers' conference, Nov. 13, 1893, reported in New York Examiner , Nov.16, 1893.
"There was and is a commandment to keep holy the Sabbath day, but that Sabbath day was not Sunday. It will be said, however, and with some show of triumph, that the Sabbath was transferred from the seventh to the first day of the week .... Where can the record of such a transaction be found? Not in the New Testament absolutely not.

"To me it seems unaccountable that Jesus, during three years' intercourse with His disciples, often conversing with them upon the Sabbath question . . . never alluded to any transference of the day; also, that during forty days of His resurrection life, no such thing was intimated.

"Of course, I quite well know that Sunday did come into use in early Christian history . . . . But what a pity it comes branded with the mark of paganism, and christened with the name of the sun god, adopted and sanctioned by the papal apostasy, and bequeathed as a sacred legacy to Protestantism!"

William Owen Carver, The Lord's Day in Our Day , p. 49.
"There was never any formal or authoritative change from the Jewish seventh-day Sabbath to the Christian first-day observance."

Congregationalist
Dr. R. W. Dale, The Ten Commandments (New York: Eaton &Mains), p. 127-129.
" . . . it is quite clear that however rigidly or devotedly we may spend Sunday, we are not keeping the Sabbath - . . 'Me Sabbath was founded on a specific Divine command. We can plead no such command for the obligation to observe Sunday .... There is not a single sentence in the New Testament to suggest that we incur any penalty by violating the supposed sanctity of Sunday."

Timothy Dwight, Theology: Explained and Defended (1823), Ser. 107, vol. 3, p. 258.
" . . . the Christian Sabbath [Sunday] is not in the Scriptures, and was not by the primitive Church called the Sabbath."

Charles Spurgeon
Jesus did not come to change the law, but He came to explain it. (Mt 5:17-20) and that very fact shows that it remains, for there is no need to explain that which is abrogated. Assuredly there was no abrogation of law.

It was a wonderful exhibition of its’ far reaching sovereignty and of its searching character. Once more, that the Master did not come to alter the law is clear, because after having embodied it in His life He willingly gave Himself to bear its penalty, though He had never broken it, bearing the penalty for us, even as it is written, “ “Christ hath redeem us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us.”

6 All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. (Isaiah 53:6 KJV). But because the law asked only what it ought to ask…namely perfect obedience and exacted of the transgressor only what it ought to exact, namely, death, as the penalty for sin, death under divine wrath, therefore the Saviour went to the tree, and there bore our sins, and purged them once for all. (Charles Spurgeon, Perpetuity of the Law of God. pp 4-7)

Dwight L. Moody: Now man may cavil as much as they like about other parts of the Bible, but I have never met an honest man that found fault with the Ten Commandments. Infidels may mock the Lawgiver and reject Him who has delivered us from the curse of the law, but they can’t help admitting that the commandments are right…they are for all nations and will remain the commandments of God through the centuries…The people must be made to understand that the TC are still binding, and that there is a penalty attached to their violation….Jesus never condemned the law and the prophets, but He did condemn those who did not obey them (See Mat 5:17-20) Dwight L. Moody, Weighed and Wanting pp 11,15,16

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Section 12

Chapter 133.

Unity of Believers

1. WHAT relation do the Father and the Son sustain to each other?

"I and My Father are one." John 10:30.

2. In what does this oneness consist?
"I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me." John 5:30.

NOTE.-Their oneness, therefore, consists in their having the same mind, will, and purpose.

3. What did Christ pray the Father in behalf of His disciples?
"That they may be one, even as We are one." John 17:22. See also verses 11 and 23.

4. Why did Christ desire this oneness, or unity, to exist among His followers?
"That they all may be one; as Thou, Father, art in Me, and I in Thee, that they also may be one in Us: that the world may believe that Thou hast sent Me." Verse 21.

Page 583

5. By what did Christ say all men should know His disciples?
"By this shall all men know that ye are My disciples, if ye have love one to another." John 13:35.

NOTE.-"God has united believers in church capacity in order that one may strengthen another in good and righteous endeavor. The church on earth would indeed be a symbol of the church in heaven if its members were of one mind and of one faith. It is those who are not moved by the Holy Spirit that mar God's plan, and cause division, and strengthen the forces of darkness. Those who are sanctified by the blood of Christ will not counterwork God's work, nor perpetuate division in the church. When there is disunion among believers, the world concludes that they cannot be the people of God because they are working against one another. When believers are one with Christ, they will be united among themselves."

6. How did Paul show his concern in this matter?
"Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the s
ame thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." 1 Cor. 1:10.

7. What was a prominent cause of division in the early church?
"For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them." Acts 20:29,30.

8. What was already at work in the church in Paul's day?
"For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth [hindereth] will let, until he be taken out of the way." 2 Thess. 2:7.

9. Before Christ should come, what did Paul say was to take place?
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God." Verses 3,4.

NOTE.-The huge system of error now fostered in the papal church is the result of the falling away here referred to. Says Wylie in his "History of Protestantism," Vol. III, page 25: "Rome manifestly was the schismatic; she it was that abandoned what was once the common faith of Christendom, leaving by that step to all who remained on the old ground the indisputably valid title of the true church."

10. Together, what do believers in Christ form?
"Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular." 1 Cor. 12:27.

11. Being members of Christ's body, of what else do we become members?
"So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another." Rom. 12:5.

Page 584

12. As members of one another, what is the duty of each?
"That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another." 1 Cor. 12:25.

13. What should they endeavor to keep?
"I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, with all lowliness and meekness, with long-suffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." Eph. 4:1-3.

14. What unity of faith is finally to exist among God's watchmen?
"Thy watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing: for they shall see eye to eye, when the Lord shall bring again Zion." Isa. 52:8.

15. What solemn message, just before the Lord's coming, will unite God's people in bonds of faith and love?
"Fear God, and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. . . . Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication. . . . If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God." Rev. 14:7-10. See Rev. 18:1-5.

16. How are those who receive this message described?
"Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." Verse 12.

17. When the Lord comes, what will be the united cry of God's people?
"And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He will save us: this is the Lord; we have waited for Him, we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation." Isa. 25:9.

HOW blest the sacred tie that binds
In sweet communion kindred minds!
How swift the heavenly course they run
Whose hearts, whose faith, whose hopes, are one.

national tragedy?

paulwhut
#2925 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 7:24:31 AM

Good Morning. Today is the third workday of the week.
Section 12

Chapter 134.

Meekness and Humility

1. WHAT promise is made to the meek?
"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth." Matt. 5:5.

Meek: "Mild of temper; not easily provoked or irritated; forbearing; submissive; humble."- Webster.

2. What did Christ say of His own character?
"Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly of heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." Matt. 11:29.

3. What is said of the character of Moses?
"Now, the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth." Num. 12:3.

4. Whom has God promised to guide in judgment?
"The meek will He guide in judgment: and the meek will He teach His way." Ps. 25:9.

5. Of what is meekness a fruit?
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." Gal. 5:22,23.

Page 587

6. What does Christ say of those who exalt themselves?
"For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Luke 14:11.

NOTE.-The spirit of self-exaltation is of Satan. See Isa. 14:12-14; Eze. 28:17. Christ humbled Himself, made Himself of no reputation, and became obedient even to the death on the cross. See Phil. 2:5 thru 8

7. By what means did Jesus illustrate true humility?
"And Jesus called a little child unto Him, and set him in the midst of them, and said, . . . Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matt. 18:2-.4.

NOTES.-Humility is "freedom from pride and arrogance; lowliness of mind; a modest estimate of one's own worth."It implies a sense of one's own unworthiness through imperfection and sinfulness, and consists in rating our claims low, in being willing to waive our rights, and to take a lower place than might be our due. It does not require that we under-rate ourselves or our life-work. The humility of Christ was perfect, yet He had a true sense of the importance of His life and mission,
"Humility is like a tree, whose root when it sets deepest in the earth, rises higher, and spreads fairer, and stands surer, and lasts longer, and every step of its descent is like a rib of iron."- Bishop Taylor.

8. How will humility lead us to esteem others?

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Phil. 2:3.

9. With whom does God dwell?
"I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble> and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isa. 57:15.

10. When asked a reason for our hope, in what spirit should we answer?
"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." 1 Peter 3:15.

11. Who should labor for one overtaken in a fault, and in what spirit?
"Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted." Gal. 6:1.

Page 588

12. With what should Christian women adorn themselves?
"Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price." 1 Peter 3:3,4.

NOTE.-The instruction given here, in principle applies with equal force to men professing godliness. It is the needless display of apparel and outward adornment that is here condemned. God desires the ornaments within, displayed in the heart and life rather than those without, simply to be seen of men. Needless outward adornment, therefore, may generally be taken as an indication that the inward adornment, so precious in the sight of God, is lacking. Neatness in dress is not here discouraged.

13. Why are we exhorted to humble ourselves?
"Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in du
e time." 1 Peter 5:6.

NOTE.-"The higher a man is in grace, the lower he will be in his own esteem."- Spurgeon.

14. With what has the Lord promised to beautify the meek?
"For the Lord taketh pleasure in His people: He will beautify the meek with salvation." Ps. 149:4.

15. What are the meek exhorted to seek?
"Seek ye the Lord, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought His judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the Lord's anger." Zeph. 2:3.

NOTE.-The fact that the meek are exhorted to seek meekness, is evidence that the meek themselves should cherish and cultivate meekness, and that sanctification, or the development of a perfect character, is a progressive work.

16. What inheritance is promised the meek?
"For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be. But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace." Ps. 37:10,11.

I COUNT this thing to be grandly true:
That a noble deed is a step toward God,
Lifting the soul from the common clod
To a purer air and a broader view.

We rise by the things that are under our feet;
By what we have mastered of good and gain;
By the pride deposed and the passion slain,
And the vanquished ills that we hourly meet.
J. G. HOLLAND.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
The Character of God and His Law……

God Law

Just…Rom 3:26 Rom 7:2; Eze 18:5
True….John 3:33 Neh 9:13
Pure….1 John 3:3 Ps 19:7,8
Light…1 John 1:5 Prov 6:23
Faithful….1 Cor 1:9 Ps 119:86
Good…Nahum 1:7 Rom 12:7, 16
Spiritual…1 Cor 10:1-4 Ro 7:14
Holy…..Is 6:3; 1 Pet 1:15 Rom 7:12
Truth…John 14:6 Ps 119:142, 151
Life….John 14:6 John 12:50; Mt 19:17
Righteousness…Jer 23:6 Ps 119:172
Perfect Deu 32:4; 2 Sam 22:31 Ps 19:7, James 1:26
Forever… John 8:35, Heb 13:8 Ps 111:8; Luke 16:17

Dr. Carl Bath quotes in his church dogmatics……”Where the Holy Day becomes a day of man, society and humanity wither away and the demons rule”…De Quervain

Todays' Sabbath School lesson:July 20
Forgiven and Forgotten?

After David had unwittingly pronounced judgment on himself (2 Sam. 12:5, 6), Nathan confronted him with the enormity of his sin. David’s heart was broken, and he confessed his sin. Immediately Nathan assured him that “ ‘The Lord also has put away your sin’ ” (2 Sam. 12:13, NKJV) and that he was forgiven. There was no waiting period for God’s forgiveness. David didn’t have to prove that he was really sincere before forgiveness was extended.

However, Nathan, who already had predicted the consequences of David’s sin in 2 Samuel 12:10–12, went on to state that the child to be born would die.

What does it mean that God had taken away David’s sin? Did He just wipe the slate clean? Does everyone just simply forget about it? Read 2 Samuel 12:10–23 as you contemplate these questions.
David also must have wondered about these questions as he saw his world crumbling—the baby dead, his family in disarray (the stories of Amnon and Absalom are two good examples of real-life family troubles), and his future uncertain. And yet, despite the consequences of his sin, which had affected innocent people such as Uriah and the newborn baby, David also began to understand that God’s grace would cover this and that someday all the consequences of sin would be done away with. In the meantime, he could find rest for his troubled conscience in God’s grace.

What does David feel he really needs? What does he yearn for? Read Psalm 51:1–6.

When we consider the cost of rest in Jesus, we need first to recognize that we need outside help; we are sinners and need a Savior; we recognize our sins and cry out to the only One who can wash us, cleanse us, and renew us. When we do this, we can take courage: here is an adulterer, a manipulator, a murderer, and someone who violated at least five of the Ten Commandments who called for help—and claimed the promise of God’s forgiveness.

If God forgave David for what he did, what hope is there, then, for you?

national tragedy?

paulwhut
#2926 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:34:49 AM

Good Morning. Today is the fourth workday of the week......mittwoch........
Section 12

Chapter 135.

Sobriety

1. To what extent did Solomon test the pleasures of this world?
"Whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy." "I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth, therefore enjoy pleasure." Eccl. 2:10, 1.

2. How much true enjoyment did such a course afford?
"Behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit." Verse 11.

3. Of what does Solomon bid the young, in the buoyancy of youth, to be mindful?
"Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes; but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment." Eccl. 11:9.

4. How does the grace of God teach us that we should live?

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world." Titus 2:11,12.

Page 590

5. What classes of individuals are admonished to be sober?
"That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, . . . that they may teach the young women to be sober. . . . Young men likewise exhort to be sober-minded." Verses 2-6.

NOTE.-These four classes include all. All should be sober.

6. What similar advice is given in the epistle to the Romans?
"Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and
drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying." Rom. 13:13.

7. What testimony does the apostle Peter bear on this point?
"Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ." 1 Peter 1:13.

8. Why are foolish talking and jesting to be avoided?
"Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient." Eph. 5:4.

NOTE.-To indulge in such things is not becoming a Christian. Life, with all its responsibilities and great issues at stake, is too serious a matter to be spent in such vanities.

9. What is the thought of foolishness declared to be?
"The thought of foolishness is sin." Prov. 24:9.

NOTE.-Levity, foolishness, light and loose talking, throw us off our guard, and open the way to temptation and sin. To avoid sin, we must be sober and constantly on guard.

10. Why are sobriety and vigilance especially necessary?
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour." 1 Peter 5:8.

11. What other consideration should lead us to sobriety and watchfulness?
"But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer." 1 Peter 4:7.

HOW vain are all things here below!
How false, and yet how fair!
Each pleasure bath its poison, too,
And every sweet a snare.
ISAAC WATTS

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Medieval Scholastic philosophers and theologians, such as Saint Thomas Aquinas and Saint Bonaventure, held that all the commandments are a part of the natural law and are therefore knowable to all thinking people. They maintained that God revealed the commandments to Moses to remind humankind of its obligations, easily forgotten because of original sin.
Actually, these scholars were echoing a similar idea expressed by early Fathers of the Church, such as Tertullian and Augustine, that the commandments had already been engraved on the human heart before they were written on the tablets of stone.
Parallels to the Decalogue are found in the laws of other ancient peoples. In Egyptian religion, for example, the observance of certain precepts (prohibitions against theft, murder, and injustice) was necessary for entrance into the shrine of Osiris, god and judge of the dead. Biblical scholars feel, however, that the Ten Commandments differ from the moral codes of other ancient religious systems in their explicit monotheism, their doctrine of God's awesome majesty and boundless goodness, and their extension of moral obligation to the most intimate and hidden desires of the human heart.

In the New Testament, all the commandments are mentioned but never in a list of ten.
Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2006. © 1993-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?
    A. Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her;—she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.

A Doctrinal Catechism by the Rev. Stephen Keenan, p. 174

“Of course the Catholic Church claims that the change was her act,… (A quotation from a letter written in November, 1895, by Mr. H. F. Thomas, chancellor to Carkinal Gibbons, replying to an inquiry as to whether the Catholic Church claims to have changed the Sabbath.)
WHO CHANGED THE 
SABBATH SATURDAY TO SUNDAY?
Roman Catholic: No such law in the Bible "Nowhere in the bible do we find that Jesus or the apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is, the Seventh day of the week, Saturday. Today, all Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the [Roman] church outside the Bible." Catholic Virginian, Oct. 3, 1947 

"You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctified." James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers (1917 ed.), pp.72,73

"If protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath Day, that is Saturday. In keeping Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic Church." Albert Smith, chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the cardinal in a letter of Feb. 10, 1920.

"Have you not any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?" 
"Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her, she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the Seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority" Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism 3rd ed. p. 174

Todays' Sabbath School lesson:July 21
Something New
After David had confessed his sin without trying to excuse it or gloss over it, he went on to petition God. What did he ask God for? Read Psalm 51:7–12.
David’s reference to cleansing with hyssop utilized terminology known to every Israelite who had ever visited the sanctuary. As he referred to the ritual acts of cleansing described in the Law of Moses (Lev. 14:4), he recognized the power of a sacrifice—the Sacrifice— who would come in the future to take away the sins of the world.

David also went on to ask for “joy” and “gladness.” In the face of the enormity of his sin, wasn’t this a little audacious?

Perhaps it may be helpful to listen to this paraphrase: “Tell me I am forgiven so that I may enter the sanctuary again where I can hear the joy and gladness of those worshiping you.”

When Adam and Eve sinned, they hid from God’s presence (Gen. 3:8). Why do you think David’s request, even after his sin, is so different? Read Psalm 51:11, 12.
David did not want to lose the consciousness of living in God’s pres- ence. He realized that without the Holy Spirit he was powerless. He knew that as easily as he slipped into sin with Bathsheba, he could slip into sin again. His self-confidence was shattered.

David understood that future victories would not come from him; they would come only from God as he depended totally on God.

The victorious Christian life is not all about us. It is all about Jesus. We yearn for His presence; we crave His Spirit; we want His joy of salvation. We recognize our need for renewal and restoration. We need His rest—a divine act of re-creation. Creation rest is not far from for- giveness. “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me” (Ps. 51:10, NKJV) uses Creation terminology. In the Old Testament only God can “create” (bara'wink—and once we have been re-created, we can rest.

If you haven’t experienced the joy and gladness of liberation from a guilty conscience, what is holding you back? If it is guilt, what could you learn from this story that should help you?

national tragedy?

paulwhut
#2927 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2021 6:46:06 AM

Good Morning. Today is the fifth workday of the week....come sundown begins the preparation.

We deserve them, we elected them...so now we got to suffer the consequences......may the Lord have mercy on our souls.

AND come quickly......not only is the earth torn and twisted with sin......so also is humanity.

I've not seen such bizarre behaviour in all my days.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Section 12

Chapter 136.

Wisdom

1. WHY are we told to get wisdom?
"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom." Prov. 4:7.

NOTE.-Wisdom implies the ability to judge soundly and deal sagaciously. It is knowledge, with the capacity to make due use of it. One may have abundance of knowledge, and at the same time possess little wisdom.

2. Of how much value is wisdom?
"She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her." Prov. 3:15.

3. What blessings follow the acquisition of wisdom?
"Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honor, when thou dost embrace her. She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee." Prov. 4:8,9.

4. Who gives wisdom?
"For the Lord giveth wisdom?" Prov. 2:6.

5. How may it be obtained?
"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." James 1:5.

Page 592

6. When Solomon became king, what did he ask the Lord to give him?
"Give me now wisdom and knowledge." 2 Chron. 1:10.

7. How did the Lord regard this request?
"And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing." 1 Kings 3:10.

8. How was Solomon's prayer answered?
"And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this
thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; . . . behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart. . . . And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honor." Verses 11-13.

9. Are great men always wise?
"Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment." Job 32:9.

10. What is the beginning of wisdom?
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do His commandments." Ps. 111:10.

11. By what means was the psalmist made wiser than his enemies?
"Thou through Thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me." Ps. 119:98.

12. Why did his understanding excel that of his teachers?
"I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation." Verse 99.

13. What effect does wisdom have upon the countenance?
"A man's wisdom maketh his face to shine." Eccl. 8:1.

14. In what did Christ say the children of this world excel the children of light?
"For the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light." Luke 16:8.

NOTE.-That is, they show more prudence, more cunning, and more intelligence about their business than do Christians concerning the things of God's kingdom. "They show more skill, study more plans, contrive more ways, to provide for themselves than the children of light do to promote the interests of religion."- Dr. Albert Barnes.

Page 593

15. In what did the apostle say he would have us wise, and in what simple?
"I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil." Rom. 16:19.

16. How many kinds of wisdom are there?
"Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect:
yet not the wisdom of this world. . . . But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory." 1 Cor. 2:6,7.

17. How is worldly wisdom regarded by God?
"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:19.

18. What is the character of that wisdom which comes from God?
"But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." James 3:17.

19. What wisdom are the Scriptures able to give?
"And that from a child thou hast known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus." 2 Tim. 3:15.

BROAD is the road that leads to death,
And thousands walk together there;
But wisdom shows a narrow path,
With here and there a traveler.

Deny thyself, and take thy cross,
Is thy Redeemer's great command;
Nature must count her gold but dross,
If she would gain that heavenly land.

The fearful soul that tries and faints,
And walks the ways of God no more,
Is but esteemed almost a saint,
And makes his own destruction sure.
ISAAC WATTS.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
How prove you that the Church hath power to command feasts and holydays? 
By the very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, which Protestants allow of; and therefore they fondly contradict themselves, by keeping Sunday strictly, and breaking most other feasts commanded by the same Church." Henry Tuberville, An Abridgment of the Christian Doctrine (1833 approbation), p.58 (Same statement in Manual of Christian Doctrine, ed. by Daniel Ferris [1916 ed.], p.67)

"Is Saturday the 7th day according to the Bible and the 10 Commandments?" 
"I answer yes".

"Is Sunday the first day of the week and did the Church change the 7th day, Saturday, for Sunday, the 1st day?" 
"I answer yes". 

"Did Christ change the day?" 
"I answer no!" Faithfully yours, "J. Cardinal Gibbons" Gibbons' autograph letter. 

Some theologians have held that God likewise directly determined the Sunday as the day of worship in the NEW LAW, that he himself has explicitly substituted Sunday for the Sabbath. 

But this theory is entirely abandoned. It is now commonly held that God simply gave His church the power to set aside whatever day or days she would deem suitable as holy days. The church chose Sunday, the first day of the week, and in the course of time added other days as holy days." 
John Laux A Course in Religion for Catholic High Schools and Academies 1936, vol.1 p.51

Which is the Sabbath day? 
Saturday is the Sabbath day.

Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday? 
We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemity from Saturday to Sunday." 
Peter Geiermann, The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1946 ed.), p.50.

Geiermann received the "apostolic blessing" of Pope Pius X on his labors, January 25, 1910. 

"The Catholic Church changed the observance of the Sabbath to Sunday by right of the divine, infallible authority given to her by her Founder, Jesus Christ. The Protestant, claiming the Bible to be the only guide of faith, has no warrant for observing Sunday. 

In this matter the Seventh Day Adventist is the only consistent Protestant. The Catholic Universe Bulletin, Aug. 14, 1942, p.4 

"The observance of Sunday by the Protestants is an homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the [Catholic] church." Monsignor Louis Segur, Plain Talk About the Protestantism of Today (1868), p. 213 

Exodus 20: 8-11, 
(8) Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. (9) Six days shalt thou labor and do all thy work: (10) But the Seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: (11) For in six days the Lord made the heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the Seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it. 

Colossians 2:8 warns us to: 
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

What power has claimed authority to change God's law? 
The Papacy in Rome. 
"The Pope is of so great authority and power that he can modify, explain, or interpret even Divine Laws...The Pope can modify divine law, since his power is not of man, but of God, and he acts as vicegerent of God upon earth." Translated from Lucius Ferraris, Prompta Bibliotheca (Ready Library), "Papa", art. 2.

What part of the law of God has the papacy thought to change? 
The Fourth Commandment. 
"Catholics alledge the change of the Sabbath into the Lord's day, contrary, as it seemeth, to the Decalogue; and they have no example more in their mouth than the change of the Sabbath. They will needs have to be very great, because it hath dispensed with a precept of the Decalogue." The Augsburg Confession (Lutheran), part 2, art. 7, in Philip Schaff, The Creeds of Christendom (Harper), vol. 3, p. 64.

"It [the Roman Catholic Church] reversed the Fourth Commandment by doing away with the Sabbath of God's word and instituting Sunday as a holiday." N. Summerbell, History of the Christian Church (1873), p. 415.

Todays' Sabbath School lesson:July 22
Reflectors of God’s Light
Probably the most natural thing for us to do after working through an embarrassing failure and experiencing forgiveness is to try to forget that the event ever happened. Memories of failure can be painful.

What does David want to do with his painful experience? Read Psalm 51:13–19.
When a bowl or a precious vase falls and breaks into pieces, we normally sigh and throw the useless broken pieces away. In Japan there is a traditional art called kintsugi, which specializes in re-creating broken pottery. A pre- cious metal, such as liquid gold or silver, is used to glue the broken pieces together and to turn the broken item into something of beauty and value.

Every time God forgives our transgressions and re-creates us again, something changes. God’s precious forgiveness glues our brokenness together, and the visible breaks can draw attention to His grace. We can become God’s loudspeakers. “My tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness” (Ps. 51:14, NKJV). We don’t attempt to self-repair or auto-improve (even incrementally). Our broken spirits, our contrite hearts, are enough praise for God—and they are beams of light that the world can see surrounding us. Our experience of being forgiven attracts others who are searching for forgiveness.

What relationship is there between Psalm 51 and 1 John 1:9? ____________________________________________________
First John 1:9 is a short summary of Psalm 51. As David knows that “a broken and a contrite heart—these, O God, You will not despise” (Ps. 51:17, NKJV), John assures us that “if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrigh- teousness” (1 John 1:9, NKJV). We can take God at His word.

Again, David could not repair the tremendous damage that he had done through his acts and example to his family. He suffered the conse- quences of his decisions and actions. And yet, David knew that he had been forgiven. He knew that he needed to trust by faith that one day the true Lamb of God would come and stand in his place.

How can you learn right now to apply the promises of 1 John 1:9 to your own life? How should you feel after you do so and know that the promise is for you too?

national tragedy?

paulwhut
#2928 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2021 6:55:41 AM

Good Morning. Today is the preparation, the sabbath is drawing on.
Genesis 4:7 (KJV)
7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Genesis 26:5 (KJV)
5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Isaiah 56:1-2 (KJV) 1 Thus saith the LORD,
Keep ye judgment, and do justice:
for my salvation is near to come,
and my righteousness to be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man that doeth this,
and the son of man that layeth hold on it;
that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it,
and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.

Isaiah 58:13-14 (KJV) 13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath,
from doing thy pleasure on my holy day;
and call the sabbath a delight,
the holy of the Lord, honourable;
and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways,
nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord;
and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth,
and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father:
for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

Thus saith the Lord; Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; 22 Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers. 23 But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction
(Jeremiah 17:21-23 KJV)

The Bible holy day is the Seventh Day.

Genesis 2:
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exodus 20:
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Leviticus 23:3
Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

Isaiah 58:
13 ¶If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

Section 9

The Sabbath

Chapter 96.

The Sabbath in the New Testament

1. ACCORDING to the New Testament, what day immediately precedes the first day of the week?
"In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week." Matt. 28:1.

NOTE.-According to the New Testament, therefore, the Sabbath had passed when the first day of the week began.

2. After the crucifixion, what day was kept by the women who followed Jesus?
"And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment." Luke 23:56.

3. What day is the Sabbath, "according to the commandment"?
"But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God." Ex. 20:10.

4. What was Christ's custom respecting the Sabbath?
"And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up: and, as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16.

5. In what instruction to His disciples did Christ recognize the existence of the Sabbath long after His ascension?
"But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day." Matt. 24:20.

NOTE.-The destruction of Jerusalem under Titus occurred in the spring and summer of 70 A.D. The flight of the Christians took place three and one-half years earlier, or late in October, 66 A. D., following the arrival and sudden withdrawal of Cestius and his army. See readings in Chapter 68. of this book.

6. On what day did the Jews meet for worship?
"Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath day." Acts 15:21.

7. On what day did Paul and Barnabas preach at Antioch?
"They came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day." Acts 13:14.

8. When did the Gentiles request that Paul should repeat the sermon he had preached at Antioch on the Sabbath?
"And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath." Verse 42.

9. On what day did Paul and his companions preach to the devout women at Philippi?
"And on the Sabbath we went out of the city by a riverside, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither." Acts 16:13.

10. What was Paul's manner respecting the Sabbath?
"They came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews: and Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three Sabbath days reasoned with them out of the Scriptures." Acts 17:1,2.

NOTE.-It was Paul's manner, as it was Christ's custom (Luke 4:16), to attend religious services on the Sabbath.

11. How did the apostle spend the working days of the week when at Corinth?
"After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth; and found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; . . . and because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tent-makers." Acts 18:1-3. See Eze. 46:1.

12. What did he do on the Sabbath days?
"And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks." Acts 18:4.

13. How long did he continue this work there?
"And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them." Verse 11.

NOTE.-Here, then, were seventy-eight Sabbaths on which Paul preached in one city. The record further says that he worked at his trade, and we may justly infer that Paul worked at tent-making just as many Sundays as he preached Sabbaths. If to these seventy-eight Sabbaths we add the three he spent at Thessalonica, the one at Philippi, and the two at Antioch, we have a record of eighty-four Sabbaths on which the apostle held religious services, while, so far as the record shows, he held only one meeting on the first day of the week, and that a night meeting, immediately following the Sabbath. See Acts 20. Evidently Sunday was not the Sabbath in Paul's day.

14. On what day was John in the Spirit?
"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day." Rev. 1:10.

15. Who is Lord of the Sabbath?
"The Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath." Mark 2:28.

16. What, through the prophet Isaiah, does the Lord call the Sabbath?

"If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day." Isa. 58:13.

17. Why does the Lord call the Sabbath His day?
"For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it." Ex.20:11.

18. Through whom did God create the world?
"God. . . hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, . . . by whom also He made the worlds." Heb. 1:1,2.

NOTES.-From beginning to end, the Bible recognizes but one weekly Sabbath,- the day upon which God rested in the beginning; which was made known to Israel at Sinai (Neh. 9:13,14); was observed by Christ and His apostles; and is to be kept by the redeemed in the world to come. Isa. 66:22,23.

The terms Sabbath, Sabbaths, and Sabbath days occur sixty times in the New Testament, and in every case but one refer to the seventh day. In Col. 2:16,17, reference is made to the annual sabbaths connected with the three annual feasts observed by Israel before the first advent of Christ.

The first day of the week is mentioned but eight times in the New Testament, six of which are found in the four Gospels, and refer to the day on which Christ arose from the dead. See Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:2,9; Luke 24:1; John 20:1,19. The other two (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2) refer to the only religious meeting held on the first day of the week after the ascension, in apostolic times, recorded in the New Testament and to a systematic accounting and laying by in store at home on that day for the poor saints in Judea and Jerusalem.

It is evident, therefore, that the Sabbath of the New Testament is the same as the Sabbath of the Old Testament, and that there is nothing in the New Testament setting aside the seventh-day Sabbath, and putting the first day of the week in its place.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Does the papacy acknowledge changing the Sabbath? 
It does. 
The Catechismus Romanus was commanded by the Council of Trent and published by the Vatican Press, by order of Pope Pius V, in 1566. This catechism for priests says: "It pleased the church of God, that the religious celebration of the Sabbath day should be transferred to 'the Lord's day. Sunday.'" Catechism of the Council of Trent (Donovan's translation, 1867), part 3, chap. 4, p. 345. The same in slightly different wording, is in the McHugh and Callan translation (1937 ed.), p. 402. 

Do Catholic authorities acknowledge that there is no command in the bible for santification of Sunday? 
They do. 
"You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify." James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers (1917 ed.), pp. 72,73.

How did Sunday observance originate? 
As a voluntary celebration of the Resurrection, a custom without pretense of Divine authority. 

Who first enjoined Sunday keeping by law? 
Constantine the Great. 
"The earliest recognition of the observance of Sunday as a legal duty is a constitution of Constantine in 321 A.D., enacting that all courts of justice, inhabitants of towns, and workshops were to be at rest on Sunday (venerabili die solis), with an exception in favor of those engaged in agricultural labor." Encyclopedia Britannica, 11th ed., art. "Sunday".

By what church council was the observance of the seventh day forbidden and Sunday observance enjoined? 
The Council of Laodicea, in Asia Minor, fourth century. 

What kind of worship does the Saviour call that which is not according to God's commandments? 
"But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrine the commandments of men." Matt. 15:9

Peter Geiermann, C.S.S.R., The Converts Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1957), p. 50.
"Question: Which is the Sabbath day?
"Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.
"Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?"Answer. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."

Todays' Sabbath school lesson:July 23

Further Thought: “David’s repentance was sincere and deep. There was no effort to palliate his crime. No desire to escape the judgments threat- ened, inspired his prayer. . . . He saw the defilement of his soul; he loathed his sin. It was not for pardon only that he prayed, but for purity of heart. . . . In the promises of God to repentant sinners he saw the evidence of his pardon and acceptance. . . . ‘The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.’ Psalm 51:16, 17.

“Though David had fallen, the Lord lifted him up. . . .

“David humbled himself and confessed his sin, while Saul despised reproof and hardened his heart in impenitence.

“This passage in David’s history is . . . one of the most forcible illustrations given us of the struggles and temptations of humanity, and of genuine repentance. . . . Through all the ages . . . thousands of the children of God, who have been betrayed into sin, . . . have remembered . . . David’s sincere repentance and confession . . . and they also have taken courage to repent and try again to walk in the way of God’s com- mandments.

“Whoever . . . will humble the soul with confession and repentance, as did David, may be sure that there is hope for him. . . . The Lord will never cast away one truly repentant soul.”—Ellen G. White, Patriarchs and Prophets, pp. 725, 726.

Discussion Questions:

 How can we find the balance between recognizing our inherent sinfulness and need for forgiveness and, at the same time, living like the forgiven sons and daughters of the King of the universe that we are?

 Why is all sin, ultimately, sin against God? What does it mean to sin against God?

 What can we say to someone, not a believer, who struggles with the suffering of innocent people, such as Uriah or the newborn son of David and Bathsheba? How do we explain the love and justice of God in such a situation? How does the perspective of the
great controversy offer a helpful outlook?

 Why would God devote two full chapters of the Bible to the sordid story of David and Bathsheba? What purpose does the recounting of this story serve?

 Dwell on the idea that sin separates us from God as expressed in Psalm 51:11, 12. What has been your own experience with how this happens? How would you explain to someone what this separation feels like and why it’s so uncomfortable? Why is the promise of grace the only remedy?

Friday
Inside Story Thanking God for Life
By Andrew Mcchesney

Fifteen-year-old Giselle didn’t feel well when she woke up one morning. She prayed before getting out of bed as she always did.

“Dear God, thank You for everything You have done for me, especially that I am still alive,” she prayed.

She thanks God for life every day. She and her family immigrated as refu- gees to the United States from Rwanda when she was 12. She faced a difficult life in her African homeland, where her parents struggled to find work and the family had little to eat. She often went hungry.

After praying, Giselle slid out of bed in the bedroom on the second floor of the family’s small home in the U.S. state of Georgia and carefully walked down the stairs. She felt so weak.

“I don’t feel well,” she told her mother.

Mother was talking on the cell phone, but she interrupted her conversation. “Go back upstairs and go back to bed,” she said. “Maybe you’ll feel better.” Giselle turned around to climb up the stairs and collapsed. She heard

Mother call out her name as she fell down the last three stairs and crumpled onto the hard floor below.

“Giselle!” Mother cried. “Are you OK?”

Giselle was unable to reply. She couldn’t breathe, so she couldn’t speak. Mother hung up the phone and ran over.

“Giselle! Giselle!” she said.

Giselle still couldn’t answer.

Mother touched her forehead to see if she had a fever. No fever.

Mother called Giselle’s 19-year-old sister to bring an electric fan to provide
some air.

The cool air felt good on Giselle’s face. She began to breathe.

“Are you OK?” Mother asked.

“I’m fine now,” she said.

Mother wanted to take Giselle to the hospital, but the girl insisted that she
was fine. Mother gave her some water to drink. Giselle later learned from the physician that she had collapsed because she wasn’t eating properly.

The night after her fall, Giselle prayed before going to sleep. She prays every night before bedtime.

“Dear God,” she said, “thank You for this day, and thank You for everything that You have done for us, especially for keeping me alive.”

This quarter’s Thirteenth Sabbath Offering will help refugee children like Giselle obtain scholarships to study at Seventh-day Adventist schools in the North American Division. Giselle received financial assistance from a 2011 Thirteenth Sabbath Offering to study at an Adventist school in the U.S. state of Georgia. Through the influence of the school, she gave her heart to Jesus in baptism.
Provided by the General Conference Office of Adventist Mission, which uses Sabbath School
mission offerings to spread the gospel worldwide. Read new stories daily at AdventistMission.org.

national tragedy?

147 Pages «<145146147