Home  •  Forum  •  Blogs  •  E-Mail  •  Support Categories
MyBasicISP Categories Finance Travel Real Estate Games Autos Entertainment
Welcome Guest Active Topics |

11 Pages «<891011>
The Holy Bible and nothing but the Holy Bible Options
Intangible
#181 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2016 7:13:02 PM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
750 Posted : Saturday, August 06, 2016 11:15:49 AM

"HERE IS HOW IT WORKS, when God makes a statement (promise) whether it be for the immediate future or a 2000 year future it is "AS DONE" (example-Gen.2:17) unless you think the Scriptures are in conflict with each other."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



John 3:14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.


John 5:24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.




"it is "AS DONE""
The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
Intangible
#182 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2016 1:53:47 AM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
Paulwhut wrote:
I've recently wondered how come so many different translations of the Bible......

I have formed an opinion.....mine you understand.......Satan is behind it. and in these posts, I do not add the "smiley faces"....that is done by the computer when a colon and a bracket are shown together.......yuk!

I was listening to a presentation by Dr. Walter Veith of Amazing Discoveries.ord.......and I am posting a part of his talk: The main Bibles are the KJV, RSV, NIV and he Jesuit Bible..........compare the KJV with the other versions and some of the differences are subtle, some are VERY different.....and one little word can change the meaning entirely!


Different Translations of Bible change wordings



If all translations were exactly the same, we would need only one translation. Different translations attempt to get closest to the original intent of a word. In some occasions it would seem that the translator has a specific agenda in their own particular translation.... ie The New World Translation attempts to restore the sacred name of God in the thousands of places it is not shown in most typical translations.

The NIV accomplishes much the same thing, but rather than use YHWH, the word LORD is in capitals. Where LORD appears in all capital letters you can accurately replace the LORD with God's actual name. All we really know are the four letters of God's name also know as the Tetragrammaton or YHWH which is pronounced Yahweh or Jehovah as the anglicized is pronounced.

The King James translation is a favorite of many people in many denominations and is often viewed as the only "inspired" translation. In truth the KJV is flawed because it was not all translated from original documents. The NIV takes into account some of the later finds such as the Dead Sea scrolls which were not known to exist when the KJV was written. It is not slanted to one denomination or another, so it is most likely closest to the teaching of the original manuscripts.




Paulwhut wrote:
Acts 13:42 KJV
[42] And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles
besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

Omitting Jews and Gentiles

These changes and those that follow were made by individuals for a
purpose.read the texts carefully.



In this example the words "Jews" and "Gentiles" is not found in the NIV because the NIV is more accurate pointing out specifically who is referred to as simply "the Jews" in the KJV.


NIV

Acts 13:42
As Paul and Barnabas were leaving the synagogue, the people invited them to speak further about these things on the next Sabbath.



Yes, there are various translations such as The Living Bible or the Amplified, that puts everything in easier to understand words and grammar more like we use today. There is also a Catholic Bible that has additional books as well wording differences. The most important thing is that you pick up whatever translation of the Holy Bible is at hand and read it. Don't just skip from one verse and chapter to another selected verse from a different book and/or chapter as is done in attempts to build a doctrine that suits a particular denomination.

Cherry picking specific verses out of context to tie together is NOT a study of the Holy Bible, but rather a study of denominational doctrine and dogma. If you earnestly want to know what we are told in the Holy Bible you must first read the book. Start at Matthew 1 and read through to Mark 1..... then read Mark all the way through to Luke and so on until you have read it all for yourself. Once you have read it through, then you go back and reexamine what you read until you understand all that you have read.

Personally, I started reading the Holy Bible nearly 40 years ago and yet there are still many things I do not fully understand. You can study for the rest of your life and still not know and understand every single verse, but without some personal effort you will never truly know what is written in the Holy Bible. Following Christ, like life, is a journey not a destination. It all starts when you pick up the Holy Bible.






The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
Intangible
#183 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:32:15 PM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
Why are you waiting? There will never be a better time to do it. How much time do you spend on the computer and personal communication devices talking, texting and playing games? You could spend your time doing anything, but if you spent 15 - 30 minutes a day reading the Holy Bible, you would truly know what is written. If you want to know the Truth, you have to see it for yourself.

The most important message the Holy Bible gives us is the knowledge of Jesus Christ, therefore, you can start in the New Testament to see this message. The Old Testament tells us of the beginning of mankind and the beginning of Israel. It spells out the terms and conditions of the old covenant and gives us prophesy for man's need of a Savior. Once you understand the basic knowledge of Christ you will have plenty of time to study the Old Testament covenant.

So go pick up your Holy Bible and read the difference of the story of the birth of Christ in Matthew and Luke. Most people seem to think the three wise men visited Christ in the manger. The two books also come from two different points of view, did you know that?



Intangible wrote:
Paulwhut wrote:
I've recently wondered how come so many different translations of the Bible......

I have formed an opinion.....mine you understand.......Satan is behind it. and in these posts, I do not add the "smiley faces"....that is done by the computer when a colon and a bracket are shown together.......yuk!

I was listening to a presentation by Dr. Walter Veith of Amazing Discoveries.ord.......and I am posting a part of his talk: The main Bibles are the KJV, RSV, NIV and he Jesuit Bible..........compare the KJV with the other versions and some of the differences are subtle, some are VERY different.....and one little word can change the meaning entirely!


Different Translations of Bible change wordings



If all translations were exactly the same, we would need only one translation. Different translations attempt to get closest to the original intent of a word. In some occasions it would seem that the translator has a specific agenda in their own particular translation.... ie The New World Translation attempts to restore the sacred name of God in the thousands of places it is not shown in most typical translations.

The NIV accomplishes much the same thing, but rather than use YHWH, the word LORD is in capitals. Where LORD appears in all capital letters you can accurately replace the LORD with God's actual name. All we really know are the four letters of God's name also know as the Tetragrammaton or YHWH which is pronounced Yahweh or Jehovah as the anglicized is pronounced.

The King James translation is a favorite of many people in many denominations and is often viewed as the only "inspired" translation. In truth the KJV is flawed because it was not all translated from original documents. The NIV takes into account some of the later finds such as the Dead Sea scrolls which were not known to exist when the KJV was written. It is not slanted to one denomination or another, so it is most likely closest to the teaching of the original manuscripts.




Paulwhut wrote:
Acts 13:42 KJV
[42] And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles
besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

Omitting Jews and Gentiles

These changes and those that follow were made by individuals for a
purpose.read the texts carefully.



In this example the words "Jews" and "Gentiles" is not found in the NIV because the NIV is more accurate pointing out specifically who is referred to as simply "the Jews" in the KJV.


NIV

Acts 13:42
As Paul and Barnabas were leaving the synagogue, the people invited them to speak further about these things on the next Sabbath.



Yes, there are various translations such as The Living Bible or the Amplified, that puts everything in easier to understand words and grammar more like we use today. There is also a Catholic Bible that has additional books as well wording differences. The most important thing is that you pick up whatever translation of the Holy Bible is at hand and read it. Don't just skip from one verse and chapter to another selected verse from a different book and/or chapter as is done in attempts to build a doctrine that suits a particular denomination.

Cherry picking specific verses out of context to tie together is NOT a study of the Holy Bible, but rather a study of denominational doctrine and dogma. If you earnestly want to know what we are told in the Holy Bible you must first read the book. Start at Matthew 1 and read through to Mark 1..... then read Mark all the way through to Luke and so on until you have read it all for yourself. Once you have read it through, then you go back and reexamine what you read until you understand all that you have read.

Personally, I started reading the Holy Bible nearly 40 years ago and yet there are still many things I do not fully understand. You can study for the rest of your life and still not know and understand every single verse, but without some personal effort you will never truly know what is written in the Holy Bible. Following Christ, like life, is a journey not a destination. It all starts when you pick up the Holy Bible.




The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
Intangible
#184 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:20:17 PM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
This man will use anything in attempt to attack me. Here he seems to think using the title "Holy Bible" is something unusual for me.... just look at the title of this thread, I wrote the Holy Bible twice! In the majority of my posts I use the Holy Bible to indicate the Book I am referring to, occasionally I simply write the Bible. Yet here is the forum holier-than-thou "Christian" criticizing the fact that I wrote the word Holy with the Bible.

James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

11 Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. 12 There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you—who are you to judge your neighbor?



stevelundgren wrote:
I will have to admit... BigGrin

I noticed the word "Holy".
It's not just the Bible, it's the Holy Bible.
[/size]

The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
stevelundgren
#185 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:34:49 PM
Rank: Advanced Member




Joined: 3/3/2008
Posts: 27,846

Nope.
Not unusual for you. Just unusual.

The previous post on this topic is dated: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:32:15 PM

That's how important the Holy Bible is to you.

Those people are zealous to win you over,
but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us,
so that you may have zeal for them. - Galatians 4:17
Intangible
#186 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:50:06 PM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
Matthew 7:15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
stevelundgren
#187 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:56:14 PM
Rank: Advanced Member




Joined: 3/3/2008
Posts: 27,846

That reality check in post #185 was pretty painful, huh?

Those people are zealous to win you over,
but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us,
so that you may have zeal for them. - Galatians 4:17
Intangible
#188 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:31:44 PM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
I really hope the both of you are having fun because I can come and dump on all of your threads as you do to mine. Is that what you want?

This "Christian" seems to think harassment and arguments are fun. He goes to church so he thinks he can say or do anything he wants, Christian values are empty words for him.



stevelundgren wrote:

That reality check in post #185 was pretty painful, huh?


The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
TheCatsMeow
#189 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:03:41 PM
Rank: Advanced Member


Joined: 7/1/2008
Posts: 220,383
I WONDER IF IT IS OBVIOUS TO OTHERS WHY YOU INSIST ON DISRUPTING MY THREAD. YOU KNOW I DON'T WASTE MY TIME READING YOUR THREADS OR RESPONDING SO YOU RESORT TO POSTING YOUR CRAP ON MY THREAD. JUST SHOWS WHAT A BULLY YOU ARE AND A NEEDY BULLY AT THAT! AS LONG AS YOU INSIST ON CRAPPING ON MY THREAD I WILL ON YOURS!!

Intangible
#190 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:27:07 PM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
2 Timothy 2:22 Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

TheCatsMeow wrote:
I WONDER IF IT IS OBVIOUS TO OTHERS WHY YOU INSIST ON DISRUPTING MY THREAD. YOU KNOW I DON'T WASTE MY TIME READING YOUR THREADS OR RESPONDING SO YOU RESORT TO POSTING YOUR CRAP ON MY THREAD. JUST SHOWS WHAT A BULLY YOU ARE AND A NEEDY BULLY AT THAT! AS LONG AS YOU INSIST ON CRAPPING ON MY THREAD I WILL ON YOURS!!


The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
stevelundgren
#191 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 6:00:03 AM
Rank: Advanced Member




Joined: 3/3/2008
Posts: 27,846

What are Christian values to you?
Being a leftist Democrat in a political party that
promotes gay marriage, femiNazism, infanticide (abortion)
and transgender rights?

Can you support that with the Holy Bible? (nope)

What's next on the liberal agenda?
- Rights for pedophilia and bestiality?
(just add to your protected sexual disorientation list)

Don't lecture us about Christian values.
Do you value the church Jesus Christ is building?
Or do you want no part?

Intangible wrote:
I really hope the both of you are having fun because I can come and dump on all of your threads as you do to mine. Is that what you want?

This "Christian" seems to think harassment and arguments are fun. He goes to church so he thinks he can say or do anything he wants, Christian values are empty words for him.



stevelundgren wrote:

That reality check in post #185 was pretty painful, huh?



Those people are zealous to win you over,
but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us,
so that you may have zeal for them. - Galatians 4:17
Intangible
#192 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 3:26:58 PM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
James 3:7 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.
The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
TheCatsMeow
#193 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 3:57:50 PM
Rank: Advanced Member


Joined: 7/1/2008
Posts: 220,383
tT
stevelundgren wrote:

What are Christian values to you?
Being a leftist Democrat in a political party that
promotes gay marriage, femiNazism, infanticide (abortion)
and transgender rights?

Can you support that with the Holy Bible? (nope)

What's next on the liberal agenda?
- Rights for pedophilia and bestiality?
(just add to your protected sexual disorientation list)

Don't lecture us about Christian values.
Do you value the church Jesus Christ is building?
Or do you want no part?

Intangible wrote:
I really hope the both of you are having fun because I can come and dump on all of your threads as you do to mine. Is that what you want?

This "Christian" seems to think harassment and arguments are fun. He goes to church so he thinks he can say or do anything he wants, Christian values are empty words for him.



stevelundgren wrote:

That reality check in post #185 was pretty painful, huh?




Talk about evasive, that's the best he can do in answering your questions? I guess you finally left him speechless, lol.
Intangible
#194 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 4:44:38 PM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
Up to this series of harassment, I have not addressed TCM or spoken about TCM, but she insists on talking about me quite frequently on one of her threads. She then demands that I not respond here and she claims she doesn't read my threads. So what she wants is to be able to run her mouth, attacking my character without having to hear the response.

This is the exact same situation she faced at Coppernet. She wanted to insult a person and then demand they do not respond on her thread. If she doesn't want anyone to respond on her thread, then she should not talk about anyone on her threads. This is a chronic situation she creates wherever she goes.

First she sends some sickeningly sweet personal messages, envying my wife, saying how lucky she is to have such a good husband, talking behind stevelundgren's back, admitting that she has been here under other names. When I suggested that is was less than honest refusing to divulge any of her previous identities she flipped out like the Exorcist, and now, vows to continue to harass me because she is having a good time.

This woman is a menace wherever she goes! Always in the middle of arguments she creates, in a way, she wants to talk behind a person's back, but quite publicly on her threads. She always demands that there be no response while claiming she doesn't read their threads, so why would any reasonable person not respond directly to that person?

I don't expect to post anywhere without some sort of criticism, that would be totally unrealistic, yet that is what she does no matter what name she is currently using. She is, in essence, a serial troll, contributing nothing while inciting arguments under every name, at every isp carrier.






TheCatsMeow wrote:


Talk about evasive, that's the best he can do in answering your questions? I guess you finally left him speechless, lol.

The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
stevelundgren
#195 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 7:43:46 PM
Rank: Advanced Member




Joined: 3/3/2008
Posts: 27,846

I'm still wondering about the "Holy Bible" thing.
I never made much notice of it before.
But now I realize it is a bit odd.

I suppose I understand it from a respectful handling of the subject point of view.
But who talks like that? It seems that there is something else behind it.

Perhaps the whole topic title gives us some clues about this.
"The Holy Bible and nothing but the Holy Bible"

Almost a Sola Scriptura sort of thing.
The scriptures alone, nothing else.

But if I remember correctly, his intention was that the words of humankind
were mere opinion compared to the word of God, the Holy Bible. Which I gathered
wasn't as much about respect for God's word as disrespect for mans' words.

Back in Post #1 he had this to say:

"I had a thread a long time ago that was based on the same thing, nothing but the inspired words of God recorded in the Holy Bible.
There is no need to provide links to doctrine or commentary found in a web search because the ONLY source here is the Holy Bible.


So, what I gather from these things is that his interest in the Bible is coupled with a disinterest in humans.
He never really liked people anyway. He's never been able to get along with them for long. A forum is an opportunity
to have some limited engagement and then get away from them. Life he thinks, is so much better without them.

That's my current take anyway.

Those people are zealous to win you over,
but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us,
so that you may have zeal for them. - Galatians 4:17
Intangible
#196 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 5:14:34 AM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
No one asked you to define your "current take" on my personality, but you know that. This is just your technique to slander and assume rather than simply ask. As usual you try to read something into every statement.

First off, what is odd about writing out the title, Holy Bible? If you pick up a book, the title is typically written on the cover..... The Holy Bible appears as the title of this book upon which Christianity is to be built.

"I had a thread a long time ago that was based on the same thing, nothing but the inspired words of God recorded in the Holy Bible.
There is no need to provide links to doctrine or commentary found in a web search because the ONLY source here is the Holy Bible.


Of course, even though you quoted me here, you go on to muse, pontificate and speculate on what is clearly written. You act as if every word I write has some dark, nefarious double purpose to be ruminated on to find the "real" meaning. You quoted my words, my words mean exactly what they seem, no double meanings, no hidden agenda, nothing to ruminate and speculate over.

The word "bible" simply means book. Which book, which "Bible" is being discussed here? I'm not talking about the handyman's bible or the plumber's bible, I am talking about the Holy Bible.

This is not about Sola Scriptura nor is it about any specific doctrine. I don't want to know what Ellen White wrote about the Holy Bible, I have read more than enough Armstrong and I have listened to Harold Camping in the past, I don't care what William Miller taught . On this thread I don't want to discuss anything except what can be found within the pages of the Holy Bible in it's entirety.

We should all be able to discuss the contents of the Holy Bible without the doctrine and outside sources such as the Book of Mormon or the many publications of Ellen White coloring what is written. Long ago, on the opposite side we had TerryD, he self identified as agnostic, he also thought the Apostle Paul worked against Christ and therefore rejected any of Paul's writings.

There are many translations available, in fact a discussion of the variety and why a variety exists is a discussion of the Holy Bible that would be relevant. Modern teachers and prophets have no power to offer up a different testimony, the Holy Bible is our only written work that is relevant in this thread..... that was my intention for the thread. I never meant it to be a venue for you to attack my character and ignore the topic.

You state, "I gather from these things is that his interest in the Bible is coupled with a disinterest in humans". This is completely untrue, it is only part of your character assault. I have said nothing whatsoever to warrant any such speculation. Unfortunately you are incapable of writing without interjecting your twisted thoughts as if someone had actually said those words. This is just your current slanderous implication!





stevelundgren wrote:

I'm still wondering about the "Holy Bible" thing.
I never made much notice of it before.
But now I realize it is a bit odd.

I suppose I understand it from a respectful handling of the subject point of view.
But who talks like that? It seems that there is something else behind it.

Perhaps the whole topic title gives us some clues about this.
"The Holy Bible and nothing but the Holy Bible"

Almost a Sola Scriptura sort of thing.
The scriptures alone, nothing else.

But if I remember correctly, his intention was that the words of humankind
were mere opinion compared to the word of God, the Holy Bible. Which I gathered
wasn't as much about respect for God's word as disrespect for mans' words.

Back in Post #1 he had this to say:

"I had a thread a long time ago that was based on the same thing, nothing but the inspired words of God recorded in the Holy Bible.
There is no need to provide links to doctrine or commentary found in a web search because the ONLY source here is the Holy Bible.


So, what I gather from these things is that his interest in the Bible is coupled with a disinterest in humans.
He never really liked people anyway. He's never been able to get along with them for long. A forum is an opportunity
to have some limited engagement and then get away from them. Life he thinks, is so much better without them.

That's my current take anyway.



The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
stevelundgren
#197 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 7:51:52 AM
Rank: Advanced Member




Joined: 3/3/2008
Posts: 27,846

No one asked you to post your offensive political memes.
Does that mean you shouldn't do it? By your logic, you shouldn't.

And a quick scan of this page of topic posts shows you engaging
in dialogue other than the words of the "Holy Bible".

You are correct that the title on the cover says "Holy Bible".
But common usage is to refer to it simply as the Bible.

You can call it whatever you like, I'm just saying it is unusual to
refer to the Bible as the "Holy Bible" when that is not the norm.
You have your reasons, or you needed to quickly invent some.

You should hang out with Christians at church sometime. You can learn
some of the social mannerisms and avoid public embarrassment.

Just trying to help. BigGrin

Those people are zealous to win you over,
but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us,
so that you may have zeal for them. - Galatians 4:17
Intangible
#198 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 10:17:40 PM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
If you were indeed trying to help, you would not be so offensive in your posts. Unfortunately, with you, every word must be parsed in attempt to be certain that you will understand what I write without leaving you room to postulate and speculate on ulterior motives. Why is it that you think everything I write is a lie or has a hidden meaning?

No one asked me to post, no one asked you or anyone else to post anything. You find what I post offensive, but I put them on my threads, not your's. You, on the other hand, post your offensive personal attacks on every thread I use and you rarely discuss the actual thread contents. Instead, you just address your hatred and just how vile you find me going so far as to question why I usually write Holy before the word Bible.

I speak in generalities, you assault me on a very personal level. While you find my posts offensive, I don't plaster my posts all over your threads and I do not direct them to you or any other person. Your posts, on the other hand, are all personal and all because you feel insulted by my opinions, you have lashed out expressing your hatred of me in no uncertain terms. Whether you are here of not I will express my opinions, I can't help it if you see yourself in my posts.

You once said something to the effect that if the world was hopping on their right foot while I was hopping on my left, you would expect me to start hopping on my right foot for no other reason than the world was doing it. I read the Holy Bible and I have been expressing my beliefs for 40 years. I have been insulted and laughed at just as you are now doing here, all for expressing my thoughts.

I have been hopping on my left foot for 40 years, and until I find reason to the contrary, I will continue hopping on my left foot because wide is the path to destruction. If I am saved, if I am damned, it is all on me and what I believe after 40 years of Bible study. Oh dear.... I said Bible! If I am wrong, I don't blame any person for misleading me and the rest is between me and Yahweh.

Even here you must think I am embarrassed in public and then claim you're trying to help. The only "help" you offer is insults, slurs and character assault. Here you can't even accept the fact that I most frequently write out the Holy Bible, although I do sometimes write the Bible. You aren't trying to help, you are trying to cause me shame and embarrassment simply because I chose to write the Holy Bible in a post.

As for me "engaging in dialogue other than the words of the 'Holy Bible'", it is primarily when I have to address things such as your assaults. I would much rather be addressing the topic, but your interests lie is personal attacks, apparently because "the shoe fits" you in some of my posts.




stevelundgren wrote:

No one asked you to post your offensive political memes.
Does that mean you shouldn't do it? By your logic, you shouldn't.

And a quick scan of this page of topic posts shows you engaging
in dialogue other than the words of the "Holy Bible".

You are correct that the title on the cover says "Holy Bible".
But common usage is to refer to it simply as the Bible.

You can call it whatever you like, I'm just saying it is unusual to
refer to the Bible as the "Holy Bible" when that is not the norm.
You have your reasons, or you needed to quickly invent some.

You should hang out with Christians at church sometime. You can learn
some of the social mannerisms and avoid public embarrassment.

Just trying to help. BigGrin


The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
stevelundgren
#199 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 6:58:03 AM
Rank: Advanced Member




Joined: 3/3/2008
Posts: 27,846

Don't complain about me being on this topic.
You brought me here. See post #184

So, by your logic, you must see something of yourself in Trump.
Which is why you react the way you do. Is that what is happening?

I didn't think so.

Somehow, in your mind, attacking whole segments of the population is okay,
but attacking an individual, especially someone you know is not okay.

By the same logic genocide would be excusable, because you didn't know
any of those people personally. They were nothing to you.

But speaking ill of your neighbor would be unthinkable.

You may think this is wild exaggeration.
But aren't you the one who said American Nazis should not be allowed to exist?

By what definition of the word "Nazi"?
It really means any conservative, right?

And how would you propose to make them not exist?

Those people are zealous to win you over,
but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us,
so that you may have zeal for them. - Galatians 4:17
Intangible
#200 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 8:58:35 PM
Rank: Advanced Member



Joined: 1/4/2010
Posts: 10,879
Location: on a hill in the hollow
That wasn't really an invitation, I certainly didn't bring you here to assault my character. Somehow in your mind, ignoring basic Christian principles or failing to apply them when voting is perfectly acceptable.

Verbally chastising a "whole segments of the population is okay" when that whole segment is responsible for some sort of reprehensible action just as praising a whole segment is "okay" if that group's action was good. For instance, Nazi Germany is an entire segment that is worthy of moral outrage and condemnation. There were many "good" Germans, but there was never a "good" Nazi in WWII Germany. I don't believe today's incarnation of Nazism is any better than Hitler's Nazis!

No, genocide is not okay. Speaking ill of a neighbor, in other words, making known false statements, is wrong for anyone espousing Christian values. Seemingly negative statements based on facts which are true is not necessarily wrong. Harsh truths should be tempered, perhaps better left unsaid, but spreading gossip, known falsehoods, should not be part of a Christian's life.



Definition of neo-Nazi : a member of a group espousing the programs and policies of Hitler's Nazis


Definition of Nazi
1 : a member of a German fascist party controlling Germany from 1933 to 1945 under Adolf Hitler
2 often not capitalized
a : one who espouses the beliefs and policies of the German Nazis : fascist
b : one who is likened to a German Nazi : a harshly domineering, dictatorial, or intolerant person a grammar nazi



Nazi (plural Nazis)

(historical) A member of the National Socialist German Workers Party (Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, commonly called the NSDAP or Nazi Party).
One who subscribes to or advocates (neo-)Nazism or a similarly fascist, racist (especially anti-Semitic), xenophobic, or ethnic or nationalist ideology; a neo-Nazi.
(slang, usually pejorative, sometimes offensive, see usage notes below) One who imposes one’s views on others; one who is considered unfairly oppressive or needlessly strict. (also frequently uncapitalised: nazi)
She’s a total grammar Nazi.
(ethnic slur) Anybody of German descent.



stevelundgren wrote:

Don't complain about me being on this topic.
You brought me here. See post #184

So, by your logic, you must see something of yourself in Trump.
Which is why you react the way you do. Is that what is happening?

I didn't think so.

Somehow, in your mind, attacking whole segments of the population is okay,
but attacking an individual, especially someone you know is not okay.

By the same logic genocide would be excusable, because you didn't know
any of those people personally. They were nothing to you. (this is totally false, unnecessary and insulting speculation on your part)

But speaking ill of your neighbor would be unthinkable.

You may think this is wild exaggeration.
But aren't you the one who said American Nazis should not be allowed to exist?

By what definition of the word "Nazi"?
It really means any conservative, right? (this part of your statement is totally wrong and unnecessary)

And how would you propose to make them not exist?


The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Sydney J. Harris
11 Pages «<891011>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

YAF_Basic Theme Modified from a Jaben Cargman theme (Tiny Gecko)
Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2009, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 5.925 seconds.